Full steam ahead as the Danny’s new role gets underway
The Daniel Adamson, affectionately known as “the Danny”, has undergone a complete restoration. It was saved from the scrapyard in 2004 when she was bought by an enthusiast for £1.
The vessel, originally launched in 1903, has been rebuilt by volunteers with the expert advice of Cammell Laird of Birkenhead where she was built. The project was made possible by a £3.8million grant from HLF.
The Danny’s new maiden voyage will be from Liverpool to Ellesmere Port, marking the start of regular cruises – 39 are planned in 2017 – for visitors. When not on the move the vessel, which boasts a fully restored Art Deco interior, will serve as a floating museum of Merseyside’s maritime history moored at Albert Dock, in Ellesmere Port or Acton Bridge, Cheshire.
An emotional day
The ship, which is number 15 on the UK’s National Register of Historic Vessels – alongside the Cutty Sark and the SS Great Britain – has been described as mirroring the luxury of the ocean-going liners of her day, but in miniature.
“Our long-awaited launch is going to be an emotional day for all the volunteers who have tirelessly campaigned and physically worked on restoring the Danny.”Dan Cross, Daniel Adamson Preservation Society
Although originally built as a tug, the Danny served as a naval patrol boat in the First World War. It was purchased by the Manchester Ship Canal Company in 1921 and later refitted with two Art Deco saloons and a promenade deck. The Danny was used as a fire-fighting boat during the Second World War.
The Danny then returned to civilian duties as an inspection vessel and was also used for transporting visiting dignatories including the Danish Royal Family and General Dwight Eisenhower.
Dan Cross, chairman and founder of the Daniel Adamson Preservation Society, said: “Our long-awaited launch is going to be an emotional day for all the volunteers who have tirelessly campaigned and physically worked on restoring the Danny.
“But her journey won’t stop there as she will now become a new tourist attraction for Liverpool, Cheshire and the North West.”