Over the past 20 years, HLF has awarded over £950million of National Lottery players' money to help support and inspire communities and park managers to improve and manage public parks and cemeteries into the future.
We’re working with partners to lead the way in helping parks face some big challenges:
- Our Rethinking Parks work with Nesta and Big Lottery Fund is helping to create new ways to fund and support parks
- By developing a natural capital account for London’s parks we have shown that for every £1 invested, Londoners enjoy at least £27 return in value
- We have published two parks reports - State of UK Public Parks 2016 and a previous study in 2014, which have helped to raise the profile of funding for parks
**Future Parks Accelerator - update**
The Future Parks Accelerator (FPA) is a new UK-wide initiative between HLF and the National Trust.
Following assessment of over 80 expressions of interest, a group of local authorities have been invited to apply for investment funding and support - to develop bold and ambitious plans for parks and green spaces.
Up to £10m will be available for up to eight places. Projects will last up to two years and there will only be one funding round.
Funding decisions will be made at the end of March 2019 after a competitive selection process of those already shortlisted.
We understand how challenging it is for places to make a seismic shift in parks funding and management alone, against a backdrop of deep financial uncertainty. The FPA is designed to create a supportive and nurturing environment for rapid innovation and shared learning.
The FPA will give local authorities:
- vital headspace for strategic thinking and development
- up to £1m funding to co-create an ambitious strategy and effective delivery plan for the public green spaces in your place
- practical support and know-how from experts and your peers
- a creative catalyst to develop the bold solutions your place needs, including sustainable finance
- a chance to inspire and help other places too